Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Statement of my final project

Nail Art in Azabu-juban

There is a nail salon that I love to visit in Azabu-juban, 5 minutes from my apartment. I first found it in November 2005, and ever since then I’ve been going every three weeks. I can not speak Japanese, but I manage to communicate to the nail artists the designs I want for my nails. I do not like just using the samples they provide. It is more fun to choose a different design for each of my ten fingers, and ask them to change some from the original samples. When I am lonely, the nail art on my figures and the artists are my friends.

It usually takes three hours for them to get all ten of my nails done (about 18 minutes per finger)! During the process, I may sleep, or use the time to reflect on recent events in my life. But usually I like to watch the artists doing their work. I appreciate their patience, their ideas, the value of their hand-made art, and the cost of beauty for women.

My project will be take pictures for video during the different steps as they create my nail art. I will chronicle a little of this worldwide fashion which reflects the artists' attitudes and the development of the beauty industry. What inspired me to choose this topic was seeing the artists wearing masks to protect themselves from the fumes of the acrylics and other chemicals they use. Even though it might not seem like it at first glance, they do a difficult and demanding job. As a customer, it is also not easy for me; the stones on my nails always rip my stockings. The long nails make it difficult for me do certain tasks, like putting in my contacts. Life is like this; when you choose one thing you have to give up others. I choose the self-satisfaction that my nails give me, and have to give up some convenience.

No comments: